More PRS tenants are struggling with rent arrears
The latest UK Court Statistics released by the Government continue to indicate a steady rise in the number of claims for possession by landlords that have resulted in orders for tenant eviction being made.
The continued rise in severe rent arrears have lead to more than 25,000 landlords making successful claims for possession of rental property from tenants in the second quarter of 2012, and it is thought the third quarterly report due out imminently will show similar, if not higher results.
The number of tenants experiencing severe rental arrears is at its highest level since 2008, with over 100,000 tenants behind with their rent payments.
Sim Sekhon, spokesman for Legal 4 Landlords, the UK’s leading eviction specialists, said “Unfortunately it is unlikely that the problem is going to improve in the near future, and as a result an increasing number of landlords are now opting for rent guarantee insurance products in addition to their normal forms of insurance. Legal4landlords have seen a sharp increase in demand for rent guarantee insurance as landlords and their appointed managing agents look to find ways to protect rental income. The problem of tenants getting into financial difficulties is not going to go away and with the Government’s welfare reforms and additional austerity measures still to come, we expect tenant arrears and tenant eviction cases to continue to rise well into 2013 and beyond.”
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)